Decorated the cake with characters from the 恭喜发财 cutter and covering it with fondant. This is my first attempt to cover a whole cake with fondant. I spread a layer of marmalade jam on top the cake and the sides then i roll my fondant out thinly and cover the cake. The only mistake i did was i should level the cake out first before spreading those jam. Not leveling resulted in a cake that have portholes all over!
I will be submitting this recipe to Aspiring Bakers #16: Fun with Fondant! hosted by Yvonne of iceamericanos.
CNY Mandarin Butter Cake
250gm Butter (I love SCS Salted butter)
160gm Castor Sugar
4 Whole Eggs (Room Temperature)
210gm Self Raising Flour (Sifted)
2 Tbsp Mandarin Orange Juice
2 tsp Mandaring Orange Zest
1. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the mandarin orange zest.
3. Under low speed, add in flour alternating with the mandarin orange juice in 3 batches.
4. Pour batter into an 8" round cake tin and bake in a preheated oven at 160c for about 45 minutes to an hour.
5. Leave to cool completely in the cake tin before decorating.