Friday 19 August 2011

65°c Cream Cheese Meat Floss Buns

I made some water roux last few days and keep planning that I wanna bake some buns again using the water roux method. I don't know if different recipes will produce different results as the previous time I bake with water roux, its not as soft as I would expect.

My raisin loaf which I did not use any starter did not fail to disappoint me. I once kept them for 6 days and ate it and its still tasted fresh and soft. Maybe my expectation for water roux is too high... If I were to bake it for my mum, friends or family, I would always go back to the raisin loaf.

So this time, I tried again. When its out from the oven, its really really soft. But I find that it has no difference compare with other dough. No doubt, the dough is so sticky that it requires so much extra flour to shape and wrap the fillings it.



Give it a try as this recipe requires cream cheese instead of the usual butter. If u have some odd amount of cream cheese sitting in your fridge, might as well use them up!



65°c Cream Cheese Meat Floss Buns (65°c 烫种奶油乳酪肉松面包)

To make Water Roux Starter:
250ml Milk
50gm Bread Flour

1. In a pot, whisk the milk and flour together till no lumps.
2. Cook under medium-low heat for until temperature reaches 65°c, stirring constantly with a whisk.
3. Remove from heat and cover with a cling firm touching the paste and let cool under room temperature.
4. Water Roux Starter can be use after it has cool down to room temperature.

Ingredients: 
80gm Water Roux Starter

200gm Bread Flour
100gm Wholemeal Flour
1/2 tsp Yeast
1 Whole Egg
70gm Cream Cheese
50gm Molasses Syrup (I substitute with the same amount of Honey)
1/8 tsp Salt
80ml Cold Water

Method: 
1. In a large mixing bowl, put everything into the bowl  and mix under low speed till a dough is form. Reserve 30ml of water to be added in later.
2. Slowly pour in the remaining water making sure that all the liquid are absorb before the next pour.
3. Knead under medium speed till the dough is smooth, shiny and elastic. When pull apart, dough should form a very thin, almost transparent layer.
4. Leave dough to rise for 60 minutes at a warm place in a large bowl covered with a wet cloth till double its size.
5. Take out the dough from the bowl and put it on a floured working surface. Punch the dough to get rid of the air trapped inside.
6. Divide dough into 12 equal parts. Roll each part into a smooth round ball. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
7. Shape dough, wrapped in desire fillings and arrange it onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
8. Sprinkle some water onto the shaped dough surface and leave to proof for another 60 minutes.
9. Brush the dough lightly with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top for garnishing.
10. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes at 170c.
11. Leave bread to cool on a wire rack before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment