Sunday 10 April 2011

Mum's Butter Cake

I have been longing to buy an oven for my kitchen a long time ago so that i can bake some cookies and cakes. Most importantly, to recreate my mum's version of butter cake. She no longer have the time or interest to make them so i will bake for her instead.

During my first attempt, i used a 8" springform pan. Used self raising flour and add baking powder into it. Needless to say, my cake crack and burnt on the top.

On my second attempt, i use 2 7" rectangular baking tin. I tried Nasi Lemak Lover's recipe of splitting the whites and yolks. Somehow, i couldn't taste the difference or maybe i didn't do it correctly.

After that, it was a smooth sailing journey. I baked another 2 batches of them and i loved them! It was similar to my mum's. The only problem is that i still do not know how to control my 18L oven temperature. The cake would crack sometimes and i couldn't get the golden colour skin on Sonia's butter cake.

Mum's Butter Cake
(Source: Yvonne's Mum)

Ingredients:
250gm Salted Butter at room temperature
220gm castor sugar
220gm cake flour (Use self raising flour and omit baking powder)
1 tsp baking powder
5 eggs
4 tbsp milk

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 150c.
2. Cream butter and sugar together using an electric mixer till pale and creamy.
3. Add in egg one at a time and mix well before adding the other.
4. Sieve Cake Flour and Baking Powder into cake batter and mix well.
5. Fold in the milk.
6. Pour the batter into 2 lined 7-inch rectangular cake tins.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, at 150c, top and bottom mode.
8. Bake for another 10-15 minutes using bottom mode.
9. When cake is done, remove from oven and let cool before removing it from the cake tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment