Love this recipe because I succeed the first time I tried. I thought for this Japanese Cheesecake, I would have to fail a few times before getting it right. Mum and brother love it so much till they asked me to bake another one for them.
It may be quite difficult if you were to read through my steps but trust me, once u did it, its quite easy and its worth it because of the taste you get. I got the idea of sieving the egg yolks mixture from Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) to get a smooth texture.
Cotton Soft Japanese Cheesecake
(Adapted from: Carol 自在生活 )
**Make a 7" Square Tin
200gm Cream Cheese
30gm Castor Sugar
20gm Corn Flour
50gm Cake Flour
4 Egg Yolks
4 Egg Whites
100gm Castor Sugar
1/4 Cream of Tartar
**To prepare the cake tin, lightly grease the whole cake tin then line it with parchment paper. This way, the parchment paper will stick well and wont crumple up in the baking process.
1. Cut cream cheese into small chunks and dissolve it into the milk using a double boiler.
2. Melt in butter and sugar while the mixture is still warm until all butter melted. Set aside.
3.Stir milk and corn flour till well mix. Sieve in flour.
4. Add in egg yolks and whisk till incorporated.
5. Combine (A) and (B) and mix well using a hand whisk. Sieve the mixture into a bowl.
6. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites till soft foam then add in 1/2 of the sugar and cream of tartar and beat under medium speed.
7. Add in the remaining sugar gradually and beat under high speed till soft peaks.
8. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites to the yolks mixture.
9. Fold in the rest of the egg whites to the mixture till no white streaks can be seen.
10. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and bang the tin on the counter to get rid of the air bubbles.
11. Bake in a preheated oven with a water bath at 160c for 15 minutes then lower the temperature to 120c and bake for about 50-60 minutes or till set.
12. Leave cake to cool with the oven door ajar for 10-15 minutes then unmould it.
13. Chill for 3 hours and serve.