Thursday 7 July 2011

Kuih Lapis 九层糕

This kuih-making process is really driving me nuts. I attempted Pak Thong Koh or Honeycomb Sugar Cake from Table for 2... or More. The first try, the result are amazing. I got double decker honeycombs! But, I pour too little batter into a 12" square tin and the honeycombs effect are not that visible. I made 2 batch of Starter dough and use some and kept the rest in the fridge. I manage to yield 3 portions of Kuih Starter Dough. So I make the first then the second batch a week after. Kept the Starter in the fridge all along. But the 2nd result turns out a disaster. It has no honeycomb. Hubby said it looked like Hokkien "kee kueh". Then I try again by immediately preparing the Kuih Starter Dough. The 3rd result, well, it end up in the dustbin as well. There was only one layer of honeycomb in the middle of the kuih. Sigh...

Then, I attempted Kuih Talam again. The green part was nice. Just nice and very fragant. But the coconut milk part was so soft. Till I need to dig with a spoon. Not sure what went wrong but I decided to let the helpers finish it. I heard they ate it with coconut milk and palm sugar. Something like our local Cendol.

After 3 failed attempts of kuih in 3 days, I went back to my ever reliable Kaya Swiss Roll. Oh My God! Even my swiss roll turns out bad. TWICE.

Never mind. It was then I decided to make Kuih Lapis. First time, it was so soft even after 40 minutes of steaming. It ended up in my helpers stomach. The 2nd time, I forgotten to put sugar and somehow, the recipe I tried was not clear enough so my kuih was hard.

A friend asked me to sprinkle some water around my kitchen with some Pomelo leaves. LOL.

Oh, and all this happened after my hubby use the kitchen to bake a big chunk of Char Siew.

I did not give up and tried again yesterday night. Waited patiently till 4am before cutting the kuih. The end result? It was good. I finished a quarter of the 7 inch round kuih on my own.

I swear my kuih have 9 layers till I unmould it...


Kuih Lapis 九层糕
(Adapted from: 平平凡凡,简简单单) P/S: Ching, if u reading this. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
**Make a 7 inch Round Cake Tin

Ingredients:
130gm Rice Flour (Try to find Erawan brand. Hubby told me its the best)
40gm Corn Flour
40gm Tapioca Starch
170gm Caster Sugar

Coconut milk from ONE grated coconut
Water


Method:
1. Put the greased cake tin into the steamer and bring water to a boil. 
2. Sieve the flour all together into a big mixing bowl. Add in sugar.
3. Add in coconut milk and enough water to make the whole mixture to 900ml. Mix well with a hand whisk.
4. Divide the mixture into 2 portions. One amounted to 400ml(A) and one portion with the remaining 500ml++(B) liquid.
5. Pour a few drops of red colouring into the (B) liquid to achieve desire shade.
6. Start by pouring 100ml of red liquid into the cake tin, steam for 3 minutes.
7. Follow by pouring 100ml of white liquid into the cake tin and steam for another 3 minutes.
8. Repeat step 6 and step 7 till the last layer which is the RED liquid.
9. Steam for another 20 minutes under high heat. Check to see whether the kuih has form by slightly tilting the cake tin. If the there are no liquid, the kuih is done.
10. Remove from steamer and let kuih cool completely before cutting and serve.

Notes:
1. The kuih would be sticky when hot so its easier to cut when cool.
2. I don't think the kuih will turn hard if steamed for an extra 5-10 minutes. So if you are not sure, steam for longer time.
3. Greased the cake tin with some oil or alternatively, line some heat proof cling film under the base and around the tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment